NKT's public relations smokescreen is known as the Western Shugden Society (WSS). WSS is NKT's front organization to shadow and attack The Dalai Lama around the world. NKT/WSS attempts to portray itself as the modern day version of Robert Lewis Stevenson's 1866 novel, 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories of the Supernatural'.
Through WSS, NKT provides a looking glass into NKT's myopic inner self - dark, angry, paranoid, hateful, dilusional and spiteful. NKT's unique 'religion' contrasts significantly with genuine Buddhist organizations. For example, in contrast to NKT which helps no one other than its corporate cult, the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT) sponsors many charitible programs, e.g., an eye center, an animal care sanctuary, the Maitreya Project, translating important Buddhist writings from Tibetan to several other languages, and feeding monks at Sera Jey Monastery. NKT despises the FPMT, and attacks the organization and its leaders often on NKT's and other Internet web sites and blogs. The only charity NKT offers us is raising money to develop its corporate mission to denigrate all forms of Buddhism, particularly Tibetan Buddhism, as degenerate.
NKT cult leader (euphemistically called its spiritual leader), Gyatso, broadly communicated his orders to disparage The Dalai Lama as evil, saying in his April 27 email to his students (even though denying it ever since), "I personally will organise demonstrations against the Dalai Lama directly. I requested Kelsang Pema and Kelsang Thubchen to do this job for me and they have accepted." Pema (aka Helen Gladwell) has become the face of NKT's mission to derail The Dalai Lama. She is featured on NKT's explosion of youtube videos and in NKT's press interviews about its vitriolic campaign. For its May protest in England, Pema boasts that she organized several busses to deliver NKTites from its spring festival to the protest, 500 breakfasts and 700-800 lunches (money, planning, public relations, monks, nuns and lay devotees that would have been better deployed helping the poor or disabled). Fired NKT Kadam Lucy James has apparently been reassigned to Queen of Mean, directing NKT's attack web sites and blogs from her home in Sarasota, Florida (e.g., NKT's purported truth smear blog, www.newkadampatruth.org).
Worthy of everyone's Internet browser's favorites/bookmarks is NKT's WSS web site, www.westernshugdensociety.org - about as vitriolic and anti-Buddhhist as it gets. Be sure to read NKT's defamatory biography of The Dalai Lama, The Tibetan Situation Today.
Gyatso's latest Heir with NKT's doctrine, The Tibetan Situation Today
In late August, the web site's top story lists NKT's 6 primary reasons why hundreds of millions of Buddhists around the world, hundreds of Buddhist monasteries and organizations, the Nobel prize organization, thousands of academic researchers, thousands of book stores around the world, hundreds of newspapers and book publishers, over a billion non-Buddhists, and at least a hundred heads of state are all wrong about The Dalai Lama, who, according to NKT now, like magic, is NOT A BUDDHIST. According to NKT, only NKT knows the truth.
NKT's reasons for its outragious allegation, "the Dalai Lama shows what it means to be a degenerate spiritual practitioner"...
1. The Dalai Lama has abandoned the Buddhist refuge in the Three Jewels - Buddha, Dharma and Sangha - because The Dalai Lama agrees with most Buddhists and his previous incarnations that Shugden is not a valid Dharma protector.
2. The Dalai Lama has abandoned his spiritual guide, who in fact was one of his junior tutors, and wants to merge the four principle schools of Tibetan Buddhism into one (in fact, The Dalai Lama along with generations of Tibetan Buddhists in the Rimed movement seek to harmonize the various schools, not merge them. NKT would be better served by investigating the bogus credentials and arguments of its spiritual guide, Gyatso.
3. The Dalai Lama has abandoned human beings. This absurd notion contradicts entirely the essence of The Dalai Lama and his life's work, which has been admired by hundreds of millions of us.
4. The Dalai Lama has committed one of the 5 'heinous actions' - causing a schism in practicing Buddhists. In fact, The Dalai Lama has done far more for Buddhism than Gyatso can comprehend. Ironically, though intentionally and prolifically, NKT has created the largest schism in the history of Buddhism, claiming that there can be no Buddhism without Shugden worship, flushing Buddha Shakyamuni down the toilet with hundreds of millions of other Buddhists.
According to NKT, since Shugden worship began only about 300 years ago, there was no legitimate practice of Buddhism before then. Thus, according to NKT, Tsongkhapa, Atisha, all the other Buddhists for the first 2,300 years of Buddhism, and Buddha Shakyamuni himself are rogue Buddhists. Clearly, NKT's position is the epitome of heinous.
5. The Dalai Lama is linking the survival of Buddhism with the survival of Tibet and The Dalai Lama is insisting on trying to be both a spiritual and political leader. In fact, the institution of the Dalai Lamas since its inception was constructed to represent spiritual and political leadership, and did so effectively until The Dalai Lama and many others were forced into exile by the Chinese government's overthrow of Tibet in 1959. Furthermore, for Tibetan Buddhism to thrive it The Land of Snow (i.e., Tibet), Tibet needs either independence or autonomy. With the cultural genocide of the Chinese government in China, Tibetan Buddhism indeed faces serious challenges. Fortunately, although castigated by NKT, various Buddhist organizations are dedicated to Tibetan Buddhism. NKT stands alone in castigating Tibetan Buddhism as degenerate and its allegation that The Dalai Lama is at the cause is preposterous.
6. The Dalai Lama is destroying the meaning of Buddhist ordination. This nonsensical allegation is an NKT mirage. Gyatso, neither real geshe or lama, has designed a watered-down ordination scheme producing sexual abusers and hateful self-absorbed Gyatso-brand monks and nuns. Once again, Gyatso attempts to castigate genuine Buddhist clergy.
Concurrently, somehow getting past NKT censors, NKT/WSS published an undisputed story, assigning the story its own web page, about the August 16, 2008 Swiss Resolution against Shugden.
Quoting NKT's story in full...(click here for the web page)
Swiss Resolution regarding the worshipping of Dholgyal
On August 16, 2008, in the local assembly of Tibetan people in Switzerland and Liechtenstein, their Deputies discussed thoroughly with great responsibility. After that, the Local Assembly’s Deputies extended their appreciation to the Resolution (1996) adopted by the majority regarding the worshipping of Dholgyal (Shugden). Due to necessity there is now no option but to add three new resolutions on top of the existing five resolutions. We request all Tibetans who are above 18 years old in Switzerland and Liechtenstein to fully follow the content of these resolutions.
A The five resolutions passed unanimously by the Local Assembly’s Deputies on July 6, 1996 were:
1. The Dholgyal worshipper must completely give up [the practice] henceforth.
2. Those who do not worship Shugden must follow the instruction without falling into the trap of others.
3. You all must invite only those who do not worship Dholgyal, when you need to perform puja for oneself or for the Dalai Lama’s well-being.
4. Be it in private or a group, when you make offerings to the monasteries in Nepal, India, etc, you must do these offerings to those monasteries which do not worship Dholgyal.
5. You must bear in mind the instructions of politics and religion and abide by them without any contradiction.
B Three additional resolutions adopted on August 16, 2008 by the majority during the Second Session of Local Assembly were:
1. Recently a few Dholgyal followers have engaged in baseless criticism against the Dalai Lama in public. This we recognize as a conspiracy to spread rumors through gossip.
2. Those few Tibetans who criticize the Dalai Lama, we recognize them being in the category of Chinese government’s politics, directly, indirectly and thoroughly.
3. We will collect signatures as a truth witness which represents the volunteer support to the above-mentioned points.
Bravo. Yet another voice of integrity.
NKT cannot stand the Sera Jey Monastery, where Gyatso received some training AND who ostracized Gyatso as "Possessed by a terrible demon, without shame, embarrassment, or
modesty, he doesn't have even the slightest care or concern for any
of the commitments of the three vows [pratimoksha, bodhicitta, and
tantric] which he undertook. He continuously broadcasts blatantly shameless mad pronouncements,
attacking with baseless slander His Holiness the Dalai Lama, whose
kindness for us, the people of Tibet, has been greater that the
Buddhas of the three times. These unimaginable statements which
defame the name of His Holiness have created an urgent adverse
situation which no Tibetan can tolerate." NKT cannot figure out why Sera Jey monastery disallows Shugden worship, and posts this picture...
Obviously, NKT's WSS web site is chock full of fascination while it paints its anatomy of dilusion and ego pathology.
More NKT/WSS news...
NKT published on one of its ego-bathing web sites recently: (web link here)
"The prime minister of the Tibetan Government in Exile, Samdhong Rinpoche recently said: "The Shugden and the Chinese are obviously allies…Their cults all over the world are financed by the Chinese…people are afraid of Shugden violence. They are like terrorists, they will stop at nothing, everyone knows this...Samdhong and other Tibetan officials repeatedly claim that Shugden practitioners are violent in nature."
In a 1997 Newsweek article Robert Thurman said: "It would not be unfair to call Shugdens the Taliban of Tibetan Buddhism."
They’ve caught us again. There is a new blogger that is exposing the NKT. He says the Western Shugden Society is really the NKT in disguise. (NKT attacked this person harshly, so he responded, "I haven’t used swearwords, defamed Geshe Kelsang, or critiqued people by name unless they are public figures (such as K. Pema). However, you use the names of people who disagree with you, post people’s photos and use intimidation techniques.")
A German Newspaper recently stated that Shugden practitioners engage in animal sacrifice. We might ask what such an “expert” is scared of. To appear to be manipulated by the Dalai Lama’s Private Office? To be sued for libel?"
Most interesting, accurate reporting and a threat for good measure.
NKT claims that there is no evidence that Shugdenites are spirit worshipers. Well then, would they please produce Shugden for an interview. How soon they forget that the primary Shugden oracle was Gyatso's uncle who left his nephew in disgust in the mid 1990s to return to India and support The Dalai Lama.
NKT claims that it is not WSS, ignoring Gyatso's marching order to his troops, "I personally will organise demonstrations against the Dalai Lama directly. I requested Kelsang Pema and Kelsang Thubchen to do this job for me and they have accepted."
NKT claims that "There are millions of Shugden practitioners all over the world." If this hypothetical was true, Shugenism would be one of the world's largest religions, not an ad hoc NKT toy. NKT cannot help proving its dilusion, again and again.
WSS, orchestrated by NKT and comprised mostly by NKT, issues press releases such as this regularly. Does it ring of Buddhism or secular politics to you?
"This Thursday, from 12:30-5:00 p.m., 600 Tibetan and western Buddhists from around the world, including 200 monastics, join with one voice to demonstrate against the Dalai Lama outside of Radio City in NYC where he will be speaking. In this unprecedented event, more than 100 Tibetans will participate in the Western Shugden Society (WSS) organized protest to speak out against the man who has been touted as an icon of peace and tolerance." (from NKT's PR director Thubchen and NKT's WSS spokesperson following Gyatso's assignment; in April, Gyatso distributed an email stating, "I personally will organise demonstrations against the Dalai Lama directly. I requested Kelsang Pema and Kelsang Thubchen to do this job for me and they have accepted." )
Among other media stories in response to NKT/WSS press releases about this NKT/WSS protest headed by Gyatso's protest manager Pema, the following appeared in the New York Times:
NYC: dissident Buddhists, idiot leftists protest Dalai Lama
About 200 members of a Buddhist sect, the Western Shugden Society, were outside the hall protesting the Dalai Lama, who they said had persecuted monks who supported the sect. Some among the thousands coming out of the lecture began shouting at the protesters. The crowd began to swell, and eventually thousands were shouting "Long Live Dalai Lama" and waving dollar bills at the protesters, asserting that they had been paid by the Chinese government...After his lecture to a sold-out house at Radio City, where some supporters paid as much as $1,000 a ticket, the Dalai Lama took questions that audience members had submitted in advance. The second question was whether he had anything to say about the protesters outside, who had begun setting up long before the Dalai Lama's lecture began at 2 p.m. The Dalai Lama said he used to follow their practice, known as Dorje Shugden, from about 1951 until the early 1970s, but that he had given it up because it was intolerant of other Buddhist teachings. He added: "I think 99 percent of Tibetans follow my practice. Some small portion worship this spirit. I am committed to freedom of speech, freedom of talk. So I say to them, enjoy freedom of talk." He also argued that two past Dalai Lamas had restricted the practice, and that he was following tradition...Although the crowd who attended the lecture at Radio City contained a sprinkling of Westerners, most were of Himalayan ancestry and they were the ones shouting at the protesters from across the Avenue of the Americas and from the north side of 50th Street.
Wouldn't it be glorious if NKT would seek treatment for its ego plague before it succumbs?
By late September, WSS had a new lead story, Lama Policy, Freedom from the Drug, wherein WSS says, "The purpose of this information is to encourage people to stop taking the ‘drug’ of ’Lama Policy’, which means to stop following ‘Lama Policy’. In this context ‘Lama’ refers to the Fifth, Thirteenth and Fourteenth Dalai Lamas...In their teachings these three Lamas – the Fifth, Thirteenth and Fourteenth Dalai Lamas – talk about compassion, but they always behave like dictators, causing so many problems for their society."
NKT/WSS see the Tibetan people as helpless drug addicts unable to accept proper societal (i.e., NKT/WSS) norms because they admire The Dalai Lama (as do hundreds of millions of Buddhists around the world, hundreds of Buddhist monasteries and organizations, the Nobel prize organization, thousands of academic researchers, thousands of book stores around the world, hundreds of newspapers and book publishers, over a billion non-Buddhists, and at least a hundred heads of state).
leave us Buddhists alone
Connections between NKT and WSS include in part,
- WSS Press Speaker: Kelsang Pema - personal assistant to Gyatso for more than 8 years
- Front man at 'WSS protests': Khyenrab - Deputy Spiritual Director of the NKT and Gyatso's heir to take control late summer 2009 (see photo above of Khyenrab posing with NKT's bible, WSS's The Tibetan Situation Today (created at Tharpa, NKT's publisher)
- Front woman at 'WSS' protests: Dekyong - National Spiritual Director of NKT USA
- Front man at 'WSS' protest: Ananda - National Spiritual Director of NKT Germany
- Front man at 'WSS' protest:: Rabten - National Spiritual Director of NKT Australia
- FApril 2008 Gyatso email: "as the representative of the Western Shugden Society, I personally will organise demonstrations against the Dalai Lama directly. I requested Kelsang Pema and Kelsang Thubchen to do this job for me and they have accepted."
- Gyatso pressure for NKT resident teachers to send students to protest. For example, when Lucy James failed to send any students from Florida to the 'WSS' protest in New York and questioned the propriety of the protests, Gyatso fired her.